[openstack-dev] [Neutron] fixed ip info shown for port even when dhcp is disabled

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Dec 16 11:25:22 UTC 2014

In Neutron IP address management and distribution are separated concepts.
IP addresses are assigned to ports even when DHCP is disabled. That IP
address is indeed used to configure anti-spoofing rules and security groups.

It is however understandable that one wonders why an IP address is assigned
to a port if there is no DHCP server to communicate that address. Operators
might decide to use different tools to ensure the IP address is then
assigned to the instance's ports. On XenServer for instance one could use a
guest agent reading network configuration from XenStore; as another
example, older versions of Openstack used to inject network configuration
into the instance file system; I reckon that today's configdrive might also
be used to configure instance's networking.

Summarising I don't think this is a bug. Nevertheless if you have any idea
regarding improvements on the API UX feel free to file a bug report.

Salvatore