[openstack-dev] [all][oslo][neutron] Managing oslo-incubator modules after project split

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Tue Dec 16 10:22:38 UTC 2014

On 15/12/14 17:22, Doug Wiegley wrote:
> Hi Ihar,
>
> I’m actually in favor of option 2, but it implies a few things
> about your time, and I wanted to chat with you before presuming.

I think split didn't mean moving project trees under separate
governance, so I assume oslo (doc, qa, ...) liaisons should not be
split either.

> Maintenance can not involve breaking changes. At this point, the
> co-gate will block it.  Also, oslo graduation changes will have to
> be made in the services repos first, and then Neutron.

Do you mean that a change to oslo-incubator modules is co-gated (not
just co-checked with no vote) with each of advanced services?

As I pointed in my previous email, sometimes breakages are inescapable.

Consider a change to neutron oslo-incubator module used commonly in
all repos that breaks API (they are quite rare, but still have a
chance of happening once in a while). If we would co-gate main neutron
repo changes with services, it will mean that we won't be able to
merge the change.

That would probably suggest that we go forward with option 3 and
manage all incubator files separately in each of the trees, though,
again, breakages are still possible in that scenario via introducing
incompatibility between versions of incubator modules in separate repos.

So we should be realistic about it and plan forward how we deal
potential breakages that *may* occur.

As for oslo library graduations, the order is not really significant.
What is significant is that we drop oslo-incubator module from main
neutron repo only after all other neutron-*aas repos migrate to
appropriate oslo.* library. The neutron migration itself may occur in
parallel (by postponing module drop later).