[openstack-dev] [Neutron] UniqueConstraint for name and tenant_id in security group

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 16:54:13 UTC 2014

I was (rightfully) asked to share my comments on the matter that I
left in gerrit here. See below.

On 12/12/14 22:40, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 12/12/2014 01:05 PM, Maru Newby wrote:

>>> Yeh, honestly, I agree with Vish. I do feel that the UX of
>>> that constraint is useful. Otherwise you get into having to
>>> show people UUIDs in a lot more places. While those are good
>>> for consistency, they are kind of terrible to show to people.
>>
>> While there is a good case for the UX of unique names - it also
>> makes orchestration via tools like puppet a heck of a lot simpler
>> - the fact is that most OpenStack resources do not require unique
>> names.  That being the case, why would we want security groups to
>> deviate from this convention?
>
> Maybe the other ones are the broken ones?
>
> Honestly, any sanely usable system makes names unique inside a
> container. Like files in a directory.

Correct. Or take git: it does not use hashes to identify objects, right?

> In this case the tenant is the container, which makes sense.
>
> It is one of many places that OpenStack is not consistent. But I'd
> rather make things consistent and more usable than consistent and
> less.

Are we only proposing to make security group name unique? I assume
that, since that's what we currently have in review. The change would
make API *more* inconsistent, not less, since other objects still use
uuid for identification.

You may say that we should move *all* neutron objects to the new
identification system by name. But what's the real benefit?

If there are problems in UX (client, horizon, ...), we should fix the
view and not data models used. If we decide we want users to avoid
using objects with the same names, fine, let's add warnings in UI
(probably with an option to disable it so that we don't push the
validation into their throats).

Finally, I have concern about us changing user visible object
attributes like names during db migrations, as it's proposed in the
patch discussed here. I think such behaviour can be quite unexpected
for some users, if not breaking their workflow and/or scripts.

My belief is that responsible upstream does not apply ad-hoc changes
to API to fix a race condition that is easily solvable in other ways
(see Assaf's proposal to introduce a new DefaultSecurityGroups table
in patchset 12 comments).

As for the whole object identification scheme change, for this to
work, it probably needs a spec and a long discussion on any possible
complications (and benefits) when applying a change like that.

For reference and convenience of readers, leaving the link to the
patch below: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/135006/