[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] bridge name generator for vif plugging

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 10:28:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:15:56AM +0100, Ian Wells wrote:
> Hey Ryota,
>
> A better way of describing it would be that the bridge name is, at present,
> generated in *both* Nova *and* Neutron, and the VIF type semantics define
> how it's calculated.  I think you're right that in both cases it would make
> more sense for Neutron to tell Nova what the connection endpoint was going
> to be rather than have Nova calculate it independently.  I'm not sure that
> that necessarily requires two blueprints, and you don't have a spec there
> at the moment, which is a problem because the Neutron spec deadline is upon
> us, but the idea's a good one.  (You might get away without a Neutron spec,
> since the change to Neutron to add the information should be small and
> backward compatible, but that's not something I can make judgement on.)

Yep, the fact that both Nova & Neutron calculat the bridge name is a
historical accident. Originally Nova did it, because nova-network was
the only solution. Then Neutron did it too, so it matched what Nova
was doing. Clearly if we had Neutron right from the start, then it
would have been Neutrons responsibility todo this. Nothing in Nova
cares what the names are from a functional POV - it just needs to
be told what to use.

Regards,
Daniel