[openstack-dev] [Neutron] UniqueConstraint for name and tenant_id in security group

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Fri Dec 12 00:32:26 UTC 2014

First, I agree that it's much friendlier to have unique security group names and not have to use UUIDs since when there is a need for more than a "default", the Tennant admin will want to be able to easily track info related to it, plus in the GUI, if it allows a new one to be created, it should disallow "default", but should allow modification of that SG.  Also, the GUI could easily suggest adding a number or letter to the end of the new name if the one suggested by the user is already in use.

So, GUI, logs, and policy issues all rolled into this discussion.

Now to my cause....

Log rationalization!  YES!  So, I would classify this as a bug in the logging component of Nova.  As Mathieu states, this is a known condition, so this should be an ERROR or perhaps WARN that includes which SG name is a duplicate (the NoUniqueMatch statement does this, identifying 'default'), and the "Use an ID to be more specific" as a helpful pointer.

If a bug has not been filed yet, could you file one, with the pointer to the paste file and tag it "log" or "log impact"?  And I'd love if you put me on the list of people who should be informed (rockyg).

Thanks for considering the enduser(s) impact of non-unique names.

--Rocky