[openstack-dev] Announcing the openstack ansible deployment repo

Kevin Carter kevin.carter at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Dec 11 02:49:23 UTC 2014

Hey John,

We too ran into the same issue with iSCSI and after a lot of digging and chasing red-hearings we found that the cinder-volume service wasn’t the cause of the issues, it was "iscsiadm login” that caused the problem and it was happening from within the nova-compute container. If we weren’t running cinder there were no issues with nova-compute running vm’s from within a container however once we attempted to attach a volume to a running VM iscsiadm would simply refuse to initiate. We followed up on an existing upstream bug regarding the issues but its gotten little traction at present: "https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lxc/+bug/1226855”.  In testing we’ve found that if we give the compute container the raw device instead of using a bridge on a veth type interface we didn’t see the same issues however doing that was less than ideal so we opted to simply leave compute nodes as physical hosts. From within the playbooks we can set any service to run on bare metal as the “container” type so that’s what we’ve done with nova-compute but hopefully sometime soon-ish well be able to move nova-compute back into a container, assuming the upstream bugs are fixed.

I’d love to chat some more on this or anything else, hit me up anytime; I’m @cloudnull in the channel.

—

Kevin