[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] out-of-tree plugin for Mech driver/L2 and vif_driver

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 19:48:17 UTC 2014

On 10 December 2014 at 01:31, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>
wrote:

> So the problem of Nova review bandwidth is a constant problem across all
> areas of the code. We need to solve this problem for the team as a whole
> in a much broader fashion than just for people writing VIF drivers. The
> VIF drivers are really small pieces of code that should be straightforward
> to review & get merged in any release cycle in which they are proposed.
> I think we need to make sure that we focus our energy on doing this and
> not ignoring the problem by breaking stuff off out of tree.

The problem is that we effectively prevent running an out of tree Neutron
driver (which *is* perfectly legitimate) if it uses a VIF plugging
mechanism that isn't in Nova, as we can't use out of tree code and we won't
accept in code ones for out of tree drivers.  This will get more confusing
as *all* of the Neutron drivers and plugins move out of the tree, as that
constraint becomes essentially arbitrary.

Your issue is one of testing.  Is there any way we could set up a better
testing framework for VIF drivers where Nova interacts with something to
test the plugging mechanism actually passes traffic?  I don't believe
there's any specific limitation on it being *Neutron* that uses the
plugging interaction.
--
Ian.