[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] engine facade status, should reader transactions COMMIT or ROLLBACK?

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 22:20:57 UTC 2014

Hi folks -

Just a reminder that the majority of the enginefacade implementation is up for review, see that at: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138215/.    Needs a lot more people looking at it.

Matthew Booth raised a good point which I also came across, which is of transactions that are “read only”.   What is the opinion of openstack-dev for a transaction that is marked as “reader” and emits only SELECT statements, do we prefer that it COMMIT at the end or just ROLLBACK?    Doesn’t matter much to me.  In my own work I tend to use ROLLBACK, but the current design of most openstack database code I see is doing simple “with session.begin()”, which means it’s currently all COMMIT.

Thanks for your attention!

- mike