[openstack-dev] [all] Deprecating exceptions

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Dec 9 17:00:19 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-09 16:50:48 +0100 (+0100), Jakub Ruzicka wrote:
> On 22.9.2014 17:24, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
[...]
> > Aren't clients supposed to be backwards compatible? Isn't it the exact
> > reason why we don't maintain stable branches for client modules?
>
> Supposed, yes. However, it's not ensured/enforced any way, so it's as
> good as an empty promise.
[...]

We do test changes to the client libraries against currently
supported stable branches. If distros want to perform similar
regression testing against their supported releases this is also
welcome.

See for example, this python-novaclient change last week being
tested against a stable/icehouse branch DevStack environment:

That is a voting job. If it hadn't succeeded the change couldn't
have been approved to merge.
--
Jeremy Stanley