[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Fuel agent proposal

Yuriy Zveryanskyy yzveryanskyy at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 9 15:47:50 UTC 2014

On 12/09/2014 05:00 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 04:01:07PM +0400, Vladimir Kozhukalov wrote:
>> Just a short explanation of Fuel use case.
>>
>> Fuel use case is not a cloud. Fuel is a deployment tool. We install OS on
>> bare metal servers and on VMs
>> and then configure this OS using Puppet. We have been using Cobbler as our
>> OS provisioning tool since the beginning of Fuel.
>> However, Cobbler assumes using native OS installers (Anaconda and
>> Debian-installer). For some reasons we decided to
>> switch to image based approach for installing OS.
>>
>> One of Fuel features is the ability to provide advanced partitioning
>> schemes (including software RAIDs, LVM).
>> Native installers are quite difficult to customize in the field of
>> partitioning
>> (that was one of the reasons to switch to image based approach). Moreover,
>> we'd like to implement even more
>> flexible user experience. We'd like to allow user to choose which hard
>> drives to use for root FS, for
>> allocating DB. We'd like user to be able to put root FS over LV or MD
>> device (including stripe, mirror, multipath).
>> We'd like user to be able to choose which hard drives are bootable (if
>> any), which options to use for mounting file systems.
>> Many many various cases are possible. If you ask why we'd like to support
>> all those cases, the answer is simple:
>> because our users want us to support all those cases.
>> Obviously, many of those cases can not be implemented as image internals,
>> some cases can not be also implemented on
>> configuration stage (placing root fs on lvm device).
>>
>> As far as those use cases were rejected to be implemented in term of IPA,
>> we implemented so called Fuel Agent.
> This is *precisely* why I disagree with adding this driver.
>
> Nearly every feature that is listed here has been talked about before,
> within the Ironic community. Software RAID, LVM, user choosing the
> partition layout. These were reected from IPA because they do not fit in
> *Ironic*, not because they don't fit in IPA.

Yes, they do not fit in Ironic *core* but this is a *driver*.
There is iLO driver for example. Good or bad is iLO management technology?
I don't know. But it is an existing vendor's solution. I should buy or rent
HP server for tests or experiments with iLO driver. Fuel is widely used
solution for deployment, and it is open-source. I think to have Fuel Agent
driver in Ironic will be better than driver for rare hardware XYZ for
example.

> [...]
>>> (or perhaps not), but in any case, there is now a proposal to add a
>>> FuelAgent driver to Ironic. The proposal claims this would meet that
>>> teams'
>>> needs without requiring changes to the core of Ironic.
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138115/
>>>

>>> I think it's clear from the review that I share the opinions expressed in
>>> this email.
>>>
>>> That said (and hopefully without derailing the thread too much), I'm
>>> curious how this driver could do software RAID or LVM without modifying
>>> Ironic's API or data model. How would the agent know how these should be
>>> built? How would an operator or user tell Ironic what the
>>> disk/partition/volume layout would look like?
>>>
>>> And before it's said - no, I don't think vendor passthru API calls are an
>>> appropriate answer here.
>>>
>>> // jim
>>>

>>> The Problem Description section calls out four things, which have all
>>> been
>>> discussed previously (some are here [0]). I would like to address each
>>> one,
>>> invite discussion on whether or not these are, in fact, problems facing
>>> Ironic (not whether they are problems for someone, somewhere), and then
>>> ask
>>> why these necessitate a new driver be added to the project.
>>>

>>> They are, for reference:
>>>
>>> 1. limited partition support
>>>
>>> 2. no software RAID support
>>>
>>> 3. no LVM support
>>>
>>> 4. no support for hardware that lacks a BMC
>>>
>>> #1.
>>>
>>> When deploying a partition image (eg, QCOW format), Ironic's PXE deploy
>>> driver performs only the minimal partitioning necessary to fulfill its
>>> mission as an OpenStack service: respect the user's request for root,
>>> swap,
>>> and ephemeral partition sizes. When deploying a whole-disk image,
>>> Ironic
>>> does not perform any partitioning -- such is left up to the operator
>>> who
>>> created the disk image.
>>>
>>> Support for arbitrarily complex partition layouts is not required by,
>>> nor
>>> does it facilitate, the goal of provisioning physical servers via a
>>> common
>>> cloud API. Additionally, as with #3 below, nothing prevents a user from
>>> creating more partitions in unallocated disk space once they have
>>> access to
>>> their instance. Therefor, I don't see how Ironic's minimal support for
>>> partitioning is a problem for the project.
>>>
>>> #2.
>>>
>>> There is no support for defining a RAID in Ironic today, at all,
>>> whether
>>> software or hardware. Several proposals were floated last cycle; one is
>>> under review right now for DRAC support [1], and there are multiple
>>> call
>>> outs for RAID building in the state machine mega-spec [2]. Any such
>>> for hardware RAID will necessarily be abstract enough to support
>>> multiple
>>> hardware vendor's driver implementations and both in-band creation (via
>>> IPA) and out-of-band creation (via vendor tools).
>>>
>>> Given the above, it may become possible to add software RAID support to
>>> IPA
>>> in the future, under the same abstraction. This would closely tie the
>>> deploy agent to the images it deploys (the latter image's kernel would
>>> be
>>> dependent upon a software RAID built by the former), but this would
>>> necessarily be true for the proposed FuelAgent as well.
>>>
>>> I don't see this as a compelling reason to add a new driver to the
>>> project.
>>> Instead, we should (plan to) add support for software RAID to the
>>> deploy
>>> agent which is already part of the project.
>>>
>>> #3.
>>>
>>> LVM volumes can easily be added by a user (after provisioning) within
>>> unallocated disk space for non-root partitions. I have not yet seen a
>>> compelling argument for doing this within the provisioning phase.
>>>
>>> #4.
>>>
>>> There are already in-tree drivers [3] [4] [5] which do not require a
>>> BMC.
>>> One of these uses SSH to connect and run pre-determined commands. Like
>>> the
>>> spec proposal, which states at line 122, "Control via SSH access
>>> feature
>>> intended only for experiments in non-production environment," the
>>> current
>>> SSHPowerDriver is only meant for testing environments. We could
>>> probably
>>> extend this driver to do what the FuelAgent spec proposes, as far as
>>> remote
>>> power control for cheap always-on hardware in testing environments with
>>> pre-shared key.
>>>
>>> (And if anyone wonders about a use case for Ironic without external
>>> power
>>> control ... I can only think of one situation where I would rationally