[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Fuel agent proposal

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Dec 9 12:51:28 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Thank you for additional explanation, it does clarify things a bit. I'd
like to note, however, that you talk a lot about how _different_ Fuel
Agent is from what Ironic does now. I'd like actually to know how well
it's going to fit into what Ironic does (in additional to your specific
use cases). Hence my comments inline:

On 12/09/2014 01:01 PM, Vladimir Kozhukalov wrote:
> Just a short explanation of Fuel use case.
>
> Fuel use case is not a cloud. Fuel is a deployment tool. We install OS
> on bare metal servers and on VMs
> and then configure this OS using Puppet. We have been using Cobbler as
> our OS provisioning tool since the beginning of Fuel.
> However, Cobbler assumes using native OS installers (Anaconda and
> Debian-installer). For some reasons we decided to
> switch to image based approach for installing OS.
>
> One of Fuel features is the ability to provide advanced partitioning
> schemes (including software RAIDs, LVM).
> Native installers are quite difficult to customize in the field of
> partitioning
> (that was one of the reasons to switch to image based approach).
> Moreover, we'd like to implement even more
> flexible user experience. We'd like to allow user to choose which hard
> drives to use for root FS, for
> allocating DB. We'd like user to be able to put root FS over LV or MD
> device (including stripe, mirror, multipath).
> We'd like user to be able to choose which hard drives are bootable (if
> any), which options to use for mounting file systems.
> Many many various cases are possible. If you ask why we'd like to
> support all those cases, the answer is simple:
> because our users want us to support all those cases.
> Obviously, many of those cases can not be implemented as image
> internals, some cases can not be also implemented on
> configuration stage (placing root fs on lvm device).
>
> As far as those use cases were rejected to be implemented in term of
> IPA, we implemented so called Fuel Agent.
> Important Fuel Agent features are:
>
> * It does not have REST API
I would not call it a feature :-P

Speaking seriously, if you agent is a long-running thing and it gets
it's configuration from e.g. JSON file, how can Ironic notify it of any
changes?

> * it has executable entry point[s]
> * It uses local json file as it's input
> * It is planned to implement ability to download input data via HTTP
> (kind of metadata service)
> * It is designed to be agnostic to input data format, not only Fuel
> format (data drivers)
> * It is designed to be agnostic to image format (tar images, file system
> images, disk images, currently fs images)
> * It is designed to be agnostic to image compression algorithm
> (currently gzip)
> * It is designed to be agnostic to image downloading protocol (currently
> local file and HTTP link)
Does it support Glance? I understand it's HTTP, but it requires
authentication.

> So, it is clear that being motivated by Fuel, Fuel Agent is quite
> independent and generic. And we are open for
> new use cases.
My favorite use case is hardware introspection (aka getting data
required for scheduling from a node automatically). Any ideas on this?
(It's not a priority for this discussion, just curious).

> According Fuel itself, our nearest plan is to get rid of Cobbler because
> in the case of image based approach it is huge overhead. The question is
> which tool we can use instead of Cobbler. We need power management,
> we need TFTP management, we need DHCP management. That is
> exactly what Ironic is able to do. Frankly, we can implement power/TFTP/DHCP
> management tool independently, but as Devananda said, we're all working
> on the same problems,
> so let's do it together.  Power/TFTP/DHCP management is where we are
> working on the same problems,
> but IPA and Fuel Agent are about different use cases. This case is not
> just Fuel, any mature
> deployment case require advanced partition/fs management.
Taking into consideration that you're doing a generic OS installation
tool... yeah, it starts to make some sense. For cloud advanced partition
is definitely a "pet" case.

However, for
> me it is OK, if it is easily possible
> to use Ironic with external drivers (not merged to Ironic and not tested
> on Ironic CI).
>
> AFAIU, this spec https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138115/ does not
> assume changing Ironic API and core.
> Jim asked about how Fuel Agent will know about advanced disk
> partitioning scheme if API is not
> changed. The answer is simple: Ironic is supposed to send a link to
> metadata service (http or local file)
> where Fuel Agent can download input json data.
That's not about not changing Ironic. Changing Ironic is ok for
reasonable use cases - we do a huge change right now to accommodate
zapping, hardware introspection and RAID configuration.

I actually have problems with this particular statement. It does not
sound like Fuel Agent will integrate enough with Ironic. This JSON file:
who is going to generate it? In the most popular use case we're driven
by Nova. Will Nova generate this file?

If the answer is "generate it manually for every node", it's too much a
"pet" case for me personally.

> As Roman said, we try to be pragmatic and suggest something which does
> not break anything. All changes
> are supposed to be encapsulated into a driver. No API and core changes.
> We have resources to support, test
> and improve this driver. This spec is just a zero step. Further steps
> are supposed to improve driver
> so as to make it closer to Ironic abstractions.
Honestly I think you should at least write a roadmap for it - see my
comments above.

About testing and support: are you providing a 3rdparty CI for it? It
would be a big plus as to me: we already have troubles with drivers
broken accidentally.

> For Ironic that means widening use cases and user community. But, as I
> already said,
> we are OK if Ironic does not need this feature.
I don't think we should through away your hardware provision use case,
but I personally would like to see how well Fuel Agent is going to play
with how Ironic and Nova operate.