[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Query on creating multiple resources

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 9 08:48:10 UTC 2014

Hey,

I think it’s a question of what the final goal is. For just creating security groups as a resource I think Georgy and Zane are right, just use Heat. If the goal is to try Mistral or have this simple workflow as part of more complex then it’s totally fine to use Mistral. Sorry, I’m probably biased because Mistral is our baby :). Anyway, Nikolay has already answered the question technically, this “for-each” feature will be available officially in about 2 weeks.

> Create VM workflow was a demo example. Mistral potentially can be used by Heat or other orchestration tools to do actual interaction with API, but for user it might be easier to use Heat functionality.

I kind of disagree with that statement. Mistral can be used by whoever finds its useful for their needs. Standard “create_instance” workflow (which is in “resources/workflows/create_instance.yaml”) is not so a demo example as well. It does a lot of good stuff you may really need in your case (e.g. retry policies). Even though it’s true that it has some limitations we’re aware of. For example, when it comes to configuring a network for newly created instance it’s now missing network related parameters to be able to alter behavior.

One more thing: Now only will Heat be able to call Mistral somewhere underneath the surface. Mistral has already integration with Heat to be able to call it if needed and there’s a plan to make it even more useful and usable.

Thanks

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.