[openstack-dev] [nova] Fixing the console.log grows forever bug.

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Sun Dec 7 22:56:35 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 08:47:28AM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:

> Would the nova view console be able to see the older versions also ? Ideally,
> we'd also improve on the current situation where the console contents are
> limited to the current file which causes problems around hard reboot
> operations such as watchdog restarts. Thus, if qemu is logrotating the log
> files, the view console OpenStack operations would ideally be able to count
> all the rotated files as part of the console output.

So I think the TL;DR: is Yup we can do that and regardless of which process
owns the logfile.

Having said that I think there are at least 2 related topics in your question.

As I see it here are the 2 issues I know about.

- Currently if you restart an instance the console.log is overwritten which
  means you loose console logs from older boots.
    * With the 'helper app' this issue wouldn't happen anymore.
    * With the qemu approach extra code would need to be added to ensue we
      also close that bug.
- nova console-log, only shows the current boot.
    * regardless of which approach we use to solve this bug we'd need to
      enhance nova console-log to be able to detect other logfiles and display
      them.  I assume something similar would be needed for horizon.  I don't
      think it's be hard to do but I'm not promising to hack on horizon.

<snip>

> Can we just say that the console for qemu 2.2 would remain as currently and
> for the new functionality, you need qemu 2.3 ?

Yes, but but that leaves operators using qemu < 2.3.0 open to this bug.  The LP
bug was opened about 3 years ago I'm not sure if that's a problem.

I just want to know how much and what work I'll be doing to fix this.

Yours Tony.