[openstack-dev] [nova] NUMA Cells

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 12:43:22 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 03:30:46PM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so just having read a bunch of the libvirt driver numa code, I have a
> concern. At first I thought it was a little thing, but I am starting
> to think its more of a big deal...
>
> We use the term "cells" to describe numa cells. However, that term has
> a specific meaning in nova, and I worry that overloading the term is
> confusing.

I don't really think it is a big deal. It is pretty obvious which
meaning is relevant, based on the context of the code your looking
at. eg nothing in the libvirt driver code deals with Nova cells
at all, so it is always going to be referring to NUMA cells.

> So, what do people think about trying to move the numa code to use
> something like "numa cell" or "numacell" based on context?

The only places where I think it is important to have an
explicit 'numa' prefix is in places where we're in a global
namespace eg, Nova Object names, database table names, or
flavour properties. I think we're aleady using a numa prefix
in all those cases.

Regards,
Daniel