[openstack-dev] [oslo] oslo.messaging config option deprecation

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Dec 4 12:16:46 UTC 2014

See https://review.openstack.org/#/c/138973/

> If oslo libraries are going to include config options, they have to
> follow the same config deprecation as that's a contract that projects
> project up. Otherwise we need to rethink the ability for libraries to
> use oslo config (which, honestly is worth rethinking).

We do, generally. We believed this option was used only by the oslo.messaging unit tests. Obviously that’s incorrect, and we are fixing the problem.

The configuration options for the rabbit driver inside of oslo.messaging need to be owned by that driver code. We can’t have them set using different names in every app, and we don’t want to expose those option definitions to the applications. It shouldn’t matter to the application which messaging driver is used or how it is configured. As I mentioned in John’s thread (“Config Options and OSLO Libs”), we will be looking into ways to further isolate applications from the configuration options, especially in their unit tests by providing fixtures and other APIs to set up the libraries for the tests.

Doug