[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Managing no-mergepy template duplication

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 10:11:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Lately I've been spending more time looking at tripleo and doing some
reviews. I'm particularly interested in helping the no-mergepy and
subsequent puppet-software-config implementations mature (as well as
improving overcloud updates via heat).

Since Tomas's patch landed[1] to enable --no-mergepy in
tripleo-heat-templates, it's become apparent that frequently patches are
submitted which only update overcloud-source.yaml, so I've been trying to
catch these and ask for a corresponding change to e.g controller.yaml.

This raises the following questions:

1. Is it reasonable to -1 a patch and ask folks to update in both places?
2. How are we going to handle this duplication and divergence?
3. What's the status of getting gating CI on the --no-mergepy templates?
4. What barriers exist (now that I've implemented[2] the eliding functionality
requested[3] for ResourceGroup) to moving to the --no-mergepy
implementation by default?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide! :)

Steve

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123100/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/128365/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123713/