[openstack-dev] [nova] The VM migration among compute nodes

Li Junhong lijh.hust at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 08:14:02 UTC 2014

Dear All,

I'm working on migrating the VMs among compute nodes, I read the
python-novaclient and nova codes and did some investigation in nova to see
the options to migrate VM between hosts, shown as below, could you guys
help to have a look, add your comments and correct me if I miss anything?
It seems that the following existing commands all have their pro and cons.
Is there a command that satisfies the following requirement:

   - It can migrate the running or non-running VMs among hosts
   - The migration target host can be identified
   - The new VM on the migration target host looks exactly the same as the
   original one, the changes on the VM operating system can be retained

The following commands are pairs, the first one is for a single server,
while the second one is for host (the commands will iterate the VMs running
on the host and run the first command against each of them)

​
--
Best Regards!
Junhong, Li