[openstack-dev] [oslo][qa] Moving the hacking project under the QA program

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Dec 2 19:48:35 UTC 2014

The hacking project is currently managed by the Oslo team. Normally Joe Gordon handles all of the release work, and so I haven’t bothered to look at how the Launchpad project is set up or how the branches are managed before today. However, today’s issue with oslo.concurrency resulted in a need to hurry a release, and in the process of doing that I realized that it’s not set up at all like the other Oslo projects. When I started thinking about how to get that done, I also realized that maybe it’s a better fit for the QA program anyway, since it has to do with code quality and isn’t really a “library”.

I talked to Matt and Joe and they agreed that the QA program would be willing to take over managing hacking. Matt posted a governance change, and this email thread is mostly so we’ll have the thought process behind the move on the record [1].

I don’t really expect any significant changes to the way hacking is managed. From my perspective, the change is more about standardizing the Oslo library management further and less about hacking. Joe is happy to have the core review team largely stay the same, although we should ask members of oslo-core if they want to still be on hacking-core rather than just assuming (talk to jogo on IRC to make sure you’re on the list if you want to be).

Doug

[1] https://review.openstack.org/138499