[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Nailgun] Web framework

Nikolay Markov nmarkov at mirantis.com
Tue Dec 2 18:56:58 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I actually tried to use Pecan and even created a couple of PoCs, but
there due to historical reasons of how our API is organized it will
take much more time to implement all workarounds we need to issues
Pecan doesn't solve out of the box, like working with non-RESTful
URLs, reverse URL lookup, returning custom body in 404 response,
wrapping errors to JSON automatically, etc.

As far as I see, each OpenStack project implements its own workarounds
for these issues, but still it requires much less men and hours for us
to move to Flask-Restful instead of Pecan, because all these problems
are already solved there.

BTW, I know a lot of pretty big projects using Flask (it's the second
most popular Web framework after Django in Python Web community), they
even have their own "hall of fame":
http://flask.pocoo.org/community/poweredby/ .

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Ryan Brown <rybrown at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/2014 09:55 AM, Igor Kalnitsky wrote:
>> Hi, Sebastian,
>>
>> Thank you for raising this topic again.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Personally, I'd like to use Flask instead of Pecan, because first one
>> is more production-ready tool and I like its design. But I believe
>> this should be resolved by voting.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Igor
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Sebastian Kalinowski
>> <skalinowski at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> [snip explanation+history]
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Sebastian
>
> Given that Pecan is used for other OpenStack projects and has plenty of
> builtin functionality (REST support, sessions, etc) I'd prefer it for a
> number of reasons.
>
> 1) Wouldn't have to pull in plugins for standard (in Pecan) things
> 2) Pecan is built for high traffic, where Flask is aimed at much smaller
> projects
> 3) Already used by other OpenStack projects, so common patterns can be
> reused as oslo libs
>
> Of course, the Flask community seems larger (though the average flask
> project seems pretty small).
>
> I'm not sure what determines "production readiness", but it seems to me
> like Fuel developers fall more in Pecan's target audience than in Flask's.
>
> My $0.02,
> Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.

Best regards,
Nick Markov