[openstack-dev] [Manila] Manila project use-cases
Fox, Kevin M
Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Dec 2 16:59:17 UTC 2014
I does 2 mean something like:
Have new manilla share unionfs under the hood, with the existing storage mounted too, so you can switch all clients over to manilla, then migrate the data, then remove the old storage/unionfs live?
From: Valeriy Ponomaryov [vponomaryov at mirantis.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 7:44 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Cc: Haub, Stefan; Lichtenstein, Thomas
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Manila] Manila project use-cases
Here, I tried to cover mentioned use cases with "implemented or not" notes:
1) Implemented, but details of implementation are different for different share drivers.
2) Not clear for me. If you mean possibility to mount one share to any amount of VMs, then yes.
3) Nova is used only in one case - Generic Driver that uses Cinder volumes. So, it can be said, that Manila interface does allow to use "flat" network and a share driver just should have implementation for it. I will assume you mean usage of generic driver and possibility to mount shares to different machines except Nova VMs. - In that case network architecture should allow to make connection in general. If it is allowed, then should not be any problems with mount to any machine. Just access-allow operations should be performed.
4) Access can be shared, but it is not as flexible as could be wanted. Owner of a share can grant access to all, and if there is network connectivity between user and share host, then user will be able to mount having provided access.
5) Manila can not remove some "mount" of some share, it can remove access for possibility to mount in general. So, looks like not implemented.
7) Not implemented yet.
8) No "cloning", but we have snapshot-approach as for volumes in cinder.
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Marc Koderer <marc at koderer.com<mailto:marc at koderer.com>> wrote:
Hello Manila Team,
We identified use cases for Manila during an internal workshop
with our operators. I would like to share them with you and
update the wiki  since it seems to be outdated.
Before that I would like to gather feedback and you might help me
with identifying things that aren’t implemented yet.
1.) Create a share and use it in a tenant
Initial creation of a shared storage volume and assign it to several VM’s
2.) Assign an preexisting share to a VM with Manila
Import an existing Share with data and it to several VM’s in case of
migrating an existing production - services to Openstack.
3.) External consumption of a share
Accommodate and provide mechanisms for last-mile consumption of shares by
consumers of the service that aren't mediated by Nova.
4.) Cross Tenant sharing
Coordinate shares across tenants
5.) Detach a share and don’t destroy data (deactivate)
Share is flagged as inactive and data are not destroyed for later
usage or in case of legal requirements.
6.) Unassign and delete data of a share
Destroy entire share with all data and free space for further usage.
7.) Resize Share
Resize existing and assigned share on the fly.
8.) Copy existing share
Copy existing share between different storage technologies
OpenStack-dev mailing list
OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org<mailto:OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
vponomaryov at mirantis.com<mailto:vponomaryov at mirantis.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev