[openstack-dev] [horizon] REST and Django

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Dec 2 14:45:30 UTC 2014

On 12/02/2014 12:39 AM, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon Dec 01 2014 at 4:18:42 PM Thai Q Tran <tqtran at us.ibm.com
> <mailto:tqtran at us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>
>     I agree that keeping the API layer thin would be ideal. I should
>     add that having discrete API calls would allow dynamic population
>     of table. However, I will make a case where it */might/* be
>     necessary to add additional APIs. Consider that you want to delete
>     3 items in a given table.
>
>     If you do this on the client side, you would need to perform: n *
>     (1 API request + 1 AJAX request)
>     If you have some logic on the server side that batch delete
>     actions: n * (1 API request) + 1 AJAX request
>
>     Consider the following:
>     n = 1, client = 2 trips, server = 2 trips
>     n = 3, client = 6 trips, server = 4 trips
>     n = 10, client = 20 trips, server = 11 trips
>     n = 100, client = 200 trips, server 101 trips
>
>     As you can see, this does not scale very well.... something to
>     consider...

This is not something Horizon can fix.  Horizon can make matters worse,
but cannot make things better.

If you want to delete 3 users,   Horizon still needs to make 3 distinct
calls to Keystone.

To fix this, we need either batch calls or a standard way to do
multiples of the same operation.

The unified API effort it the right place to drive this.