[openstack-dev] [Manila] Manila project use-cases

Marc Koderer marc at koderer.com
Tue Dec 2 14:22:28 UTC 2014

Hello Manila Team,

We identified use cases for Manila during an internal workshop
with our operators. I would like to share them with you and
update the wiki [1] since it seems to be outdated.

Before that I would like to gather feedback and you might help me
with identifying things that aren’t implemented yet.

Our list:

 1.) Create a share and use it in a tenant
     Initial creation of a shared storage volume and assign it to several VM’s

 2.) Assign an preexisting share to a VM with Manila
     Import an existing Share with data and it to several VM’s in case of
     migrating an existing production - services to Openstack.

 3.) External consumption of a share
     Accommodate and provide mechanisms for last-mile consumption of shares by
     consumers of the service that aren't mediated by Nova.

 4.) Cross Tenant sharing
     Coordinate shares across tenants

 5.) Detach a share and don’t destroy data (deactivate)
     Share is flagged as inactive and data are not destroyed for later
     usage or in case of legal requirements.

 6.) Unassign and delete data of a share
     Destroy entire share with all data and free space for further usage.

 7.) Resize Share
     Resize existing and assigned share on the fly.

 8.) Copy existing share
     Copy existing share between different storage technologies

Regards
Marc
Deutsche Telekom

[1]: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Manila/usecases