[openstack-dev] [Heat] Convergence proof-of-concept showdown

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Dec 1 20:19:16 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Anant Patil's message of 2014-11-30 23:02:29 -0800:
> On 27-Nov-14 18:03, Murugan, Visnusaran wrote:
> > Hi Zane,
> >

> > At this stage our implementation (as mentioned in wiki
> > <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/ConvergenceDesign>) achieves your
> > design goals.
> >

> > 1.       In case of a parallel update, our implementation adjusts graph
> > according to new template and waits for dispatched resource tasks to
> > complete.
> >
> > 2.       Reason for basing our PoC on Heat code:
> >
> > a.       To solve contention processing parent resource by all dependent
> > resources in parallel.
> >
> > b.      To avoid porting issue from PoC to HeatBase. (just to be aware
> > of potential issues asap)
> >
> > 3.       Resource timeout would be helpful, but I guess its resource
> > specific and has to come from template and default values from plugins.
> >
> > 4.       We see resource notification aggregation and processing next
> > level of resources without contention and with minimal DB usage as the
> > problem area. We are working on the following approaches in *parallel.*
> >
> > a.       Use a Queue per stack to serialize notification.
> >
> > b.      Get parent ProcessLog (ResourceID, EngineID) and initiate
> > convergence upon first child notification. Subsequent children who fail
> > to get parent resource lock will directly send message to waiting parent
> > task (topic=stack_id.parent_resource_id)
> >
> > Based on performance/feedback we can select either or a mashed version.
> >

> > Advantages:
> >
> > 1.       Failed Resource tasks can be re-initiated after ProcessLog
> > table lookup.
> >
> > 2.       One worker == one resource.
> >
> > 3.       Supports concurrent updates
> >
> > 4.       Delete == update with empty stack
> >
> > 5.       Rollback == update to previous know good/completed stack.
> >

> > Disadvantages:
> >
> > 1.       Still holds stackLock (WIP to remove with ProcessLog)
> >

> > Completely understand your concern on reviewing our code, since commits
> > are numerous and there is change of course at places.  Our start commit
> > is [c1b3eb22f7ab6ea60b095f88982247dd249139bf] though this might not help J
> >

> > Your Thoughts.
> >

> > Happy Thanksgiving.
> >
> > Vishnu.

It would be helpful if you explained why you need to _lock_ the stack.
MVCC in the database should be enough here. Basically you need to:

begin transaction
update traversal information
select resolvable nodes
{in code not sql -- send converge commands into async queue}
commit

Any failure inside this transation should rollback the transaction and
retry this. It is o-k to have duplicate converge commands for a resource.

This should be the single point of synchronization between workers that
are resolving resources. Or perhaps this is the lock you meant? Either
way, this isn't avoidable if you want to make sure everything is attempted
at least once without having to continuously poll and re-poll the stack
to look for unresolved resources. That is an option, but not one that I
think is going to be as simple as the transactional method.