[openstack-dev] [nova] nova backup not working in stable/icehouse?

Preston L. Bannister preston at bannister.us
Sat Aug 30 20:04:40 UTC 2014

You are thinking of written-for-cloud applications. For those the state
should not persist with the instance.

There are a very large number of existing applications, not written to the
cloud model, but which could be deployed in a cloud. Those applications are
not all going to get re-written (as the cost is often greater than the
benefit). Those applications need some ready and efficient means of backup.

The benefits of the cloud-application model and the cloud-deployment model
are distinct.

The existing nova backup (if it worked) is an inefficient snapshot. Not
really useful at scale.

There are two basic paths forward, here.  1) Build a complete common backup
implementation that everyone can use. Or 2) define a common API for
invoking backup, allow vendors to supply differing implementations, and add
to OpenStack the APIs needed by backup implementations.

Given past history, there does not seem to be enough focus or resources to
get (1) done.

That makes (2) much more likely. Reasonably sure we can find the interest
and resources for this path. :)