[openstack-dev] [nova] Is the BP approval process broken?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Sat Aug 30 01:38:43 UTC 2014

<life>Sorry folks, I just had a new daughter since Thursday so I'm on
PTO until Monday, so thanks to the people who discussed about the
blueprint I created and how we can avoid the problem raised by Don for Kilo.
</life>

Answers inline.

Le 29/08/2014 19:42, John Garbutt a écrit :
> I think this is now more about code reviews, but this is important...
>
> On 29 August 2014 10:30, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> I think Nova lacks core reviewers more than it lacks reviewers, though.
>>> Just looking at the ratio of core developers vs. patchsets proposed,
>>> it's pretty clear that the core team is too small:
>>>
>>> Nova: 750 patchsets/month for 21 core = 36
>>> Heat: 230/14 = 16
>>> Swift: 50/16 = 3
>>>
>>> Neutron has the same issue (550/14 = 39). I think above 20, you have a
>>> dysfunctional setup. No amount of process, spec, or runway will solve
>>> that fundamental issue.
> +1

+1. I can really understand that there is a reviewers bandwidth issue
within Nova which can't just be answered by adding new cores, because it
would create some parliament issues.

>>> The problem is, you can't just add core reviewers, they have to actually
>>> understand enough of the code base to be trusted with that +2 power. All
>>> potential candidates are probably already in. In Nova, the code base is
>>> so big it's difficult to find people that know enough of it. In Neutron,
>>> the contributors are often focused on subsections of the code base so
>>> they are not really interested in learning enough of the rest. That
>>> makes the pool of core candidates quite dry.
> The other point is keeping the reviews consistent. Making the team
> larger makes that harder.
>
> If we did a better job of discussing core disagreements more in the
> nova-meeting, maybe that would help keep consistency between a larger
> group of people. But it boils down to trusting each other, and a group
> bigger than 20, is a lot of people to get to know.

+1 to John, I think adding 5 new cores now would create some problems if
we do that before discussing how the specs model and the Kilo bps can be
done. I don't want to do kind of parralelism to what's happening with
some politics model here but I think we need to have anyway a small
number of deciders within a big project to make it successful (and
delegate, but I will explain further below)
>>> I fear the only solution is smaller groups being experts on smaller
>>> codebases. There is less to review, and more candidates that are likely
>>> to be experts in this limited area.
>>>
>>> Applied to Nova, that means modularization -- having strong internal
>>> interfaces and trusting subteams to +2 the code they are experts on.
>>> Maybe VMWare driver people should just +2 VMware-related code. We've had
>>> that discussion before, and I know there is a dangerous potential
>>> quality slope there -- I just fail to see any other solution to bring
>>> that 750/21=36 figure down to a bearable level, before we burn out all
>>> of the Nova core team.
> This worked really well for Cinder, and I hope Gantt will do the same
> kind of thing for Scheduling.
>
> It certainly feels like we really need to split things up, maybe:
> * API (talks to compute api to creates tasks and gets objects)
> * core task orchestration and persistence (compute api, db objects,
> conductor, talks to compute manager api, scheduler api, network api)
> * compute manager + "drivers" (gets instance objects)
> * Scheduling (models resources, gets )
> * nova-network
>
> But clearly, that will make evolving those interfaces much harder, the
> separate they become.
>
> Certainly we fee a few release away from some of those splits.
>
>> I broadly agree - I think that unless Nova moves more towards something
>> that is closer to the Linux style subsystem maintainer model we are
>> doomed. I know in Linux, the maintainers actually use separate git trees,
>> and that isn't what I mean - I think using a single git tree is still
>> desirable (at least for now). What I mean is that we should place more
>> trust on the opinion of the people who are experts for a particular
>> area of code. Let those experts take on a greater burden of the code
>> review so core team can put more focus on actual merge approval.
>>
>> I know some of the core team try to do this implicitly - eg we know who
>> some of the main people involved in hyperv or vmware are, so will tend
>> to treat their +1 as an effective +2 from the POV of their driver code,
>> but our rules still require two actual +2s from core, so it doesn't
>> entirely help us right now. I think we need to do some work in tooling
>> to make this more of an explicit process though.
> I do prefer a distinction between core and sub-core-team.
>
> Just because we want multiple sub-core-team members, but still make it
> easier to spot the core reviewer.

As the Nova project is becoming bigger and bigger and as IMHO I think
Nova should not have more than the current number of cores, my personal
opinion is that cores should be represented by subteams people for
helping them to know if a patch is good or not, so we would only need
one core for validating it.

So, wrt what proposed Daniel above, if some sub-core members would say
+1.5, they could just ping or discuss during Nova meetings the cores to
say they would just have to sign off.

>> The problem is that gerrit does not allow us to say person X has +2 for
>> code that touches directory path /foo/bar. The +2 is global to the entire
>> repository. We could try to deal with this problem outside of gerrit
>> though. As a starting point, each virt driver (or major functional area
>> of nova codebase) should have an explicit list of people who are considered
>> to be the "core team" for that area of code.  From such a list, tools like
>> gerrymander (or anything else that can query gerrit), could see when a
>> person in those lists +1'd a change touching their area of responsibility
>> and change that to be presented as a "+1.5".
> Or we create a +3 for core, and +2 for sub team, but I like the distinction.

I'm just thinking it could confuse people if +2 would then become a
non-validation.
If creating a mid-level note would be tricky, I could also propose that
another label could be created like "Subteam Verified" and whose group
people could just check it ?

>> This would make it very explicit to the reviewers that they should consider
>> the change to be (almost) equivalent to a +2.  We could potentially then
>> relax the rule of
>>
>>       "+A requires two +2s"
>>
>> to be
>>
>>       "+A requires (two +2s) or (one +2 and one +1.5)"
> I think that could work, but maybe:
>
>       "+A requires (two +2s) or (one +2 and two +1.5)"
>
> Only because it would be good for the sub-core teams to see each
> others +1.5s. But maybe thats silly, and just makes things worse
> again.

Well, right point. If we need two 1.5, then the velocity issue would be
then on subteam approvers.
If we assume that the subteams are big and worldwide enough for having a
good reviewing ratio, I'm OK with that. If not, then the issue would not
disappear.