[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] [third-party] [infra] New mailing lists for third party announcements and account requests

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at princessleia.com
Fri Aug 29 21:30:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:
> On Fri 29 Aug 2014 12:47:00 PM PDT, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
>> Third-party-request
>>
>> This list is the new place to request the creation or modification of
>> your third party account. Note that old requests sent to the
>> openstack-infra mailing list don't need to be resubmitted, they are
>> already in the queue for creation.
>
> I'm not happy about this decision: creating new lists is expensive, it
> multiplies entry points for newcomers, which need to be explained *and*
> understood. We've multiplying processes, rules, points of contact and
> places to monitor, be aware of... I feel overwhelmed. I wonder how much
> worse that feeling is for people who are not 150% of their time
> following discussions online and offline on all OpenStack channels.
>
> Are you sure that a mailing list is the most appropriate way of handling
> requests? Aren't bug trackers more appropriate instead?  And don't we
> have a bug tracker already?

I can't speak to all of your points (there are others who are more
qualified and have been involved in this discussion longer) but the
process prior to having these mailing lists was either emailing the
openstack-infra mailing list or submitting a bug in the infra tracker.
This was arguably more confusing as an entry point because we talk
about all kinds of infrastructure stuff that 3rd parties aren't
interested in and many infrastructure people weren't interested in all
the generic 3rd party discussions and account requests. It was also
easy for requests to get lost, kudos to Sergey Lukjanov for diligently
tracking them these past few months!

Our hope is that most 3rd party testing folks will be referencing our
documentation on the topic, so it won't be confusing to know where to
send the request, we made sure this was updated before making the
announcement: http://ci.openstack.org/third_party.html#requesting-a-service-account

More discussion that ended up with the decision to create these lists
was at the infra meeting on the 19th:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/infra/2014/infra.2014-08-19-19.02.log.html

http://www.princessleia.com