[openstack-dev] [qa] Lack of consistency in returning response from tempest clients

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Aug 29 14:56:34 UTC 2014

On 08/29/2014 10:19 AM, David Kranz wrote:
> While reviewing patches for moving response checking to the clients, I
> noticed that there are places where client methods do not return any value.
> This is usually, but not always, a delete method. IMO, every rest client
> method should return at least the response. Some services return just
> the response for delete methods and others return (resp, body). Does any
> one object to cleaning this up by just making all client methods return
> resp, body? This is mostly a change to the clients. There were only a
> few places where a non-delete  method was returning just a body that was
> used in test code.

Yair and I were discussing this yesterday. As the response correctness
checking is happening deeper in the code (and you are seeing more and
more people assigning the response object to _ ) my feeling is Tempest
clients should probably return a body obj that's basically.

class ResponseBody(dict):
    def __init__(self, body={}, resp=None):
        self.update(body)
	self.resp = resp

Then all the clients would have single return values, the body would be
the default thing you were accessing (which is usually what you want),
and the response object is accessible if needed to examine headers.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net