[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit reloaded

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 29 09:19:09 UTC 2014

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 08/28/2014 03:06 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> So the fallout of that is there will be 6 or 7 cross-project slots for
>>> the design summit. Maybe that's the right mix if the TC does a good job
>>> picking the top 5 things we want accomplished from a cross project
>>> standpoint during the cycle. But it's going to have to be a pretty
>>> directed pick. I think last time we had 21 slots, and with a couple of
>>> doubling up that gave 19 sessions. (about 30 - 35 proposals for that
>>> slot set).
>>
>> I'm not sure that would be a bad thing :)
>>
>> I think one of the reasons the mid-cycles have been successful is that
>> they have adequately limited the scope of discussions and I think by
>> doing our homework by fully vetting and voting on cross-project sessions
>> and being OK with saying "No, not this time.", we will be more
>> productive than if we had 20+ cross-project sessions.
>>
>> Just my two cents, though..
>
> I'm not sure it would be a bad thing either. I just wanted to be
> explicit about what we are saying the cross projects sessions are for in
> this case: the 5 key cross project activities the TC believes should be
> worked on this next cycle.

There is a trade-off here. Parallel cross-project tracks let us address
more issues in the limited time we have, and they also let us split the
audience so that we don't end up at 500 in the same room and nothing
gets done in 40min. It's true that sometimes you wish you could be in
two different places at the same time, but we generally prevent the most
blatant collisions during scheduling, and sometimes forcing people to
choose what they really care about is not that bad.

The feedback I got from Atlanta was that the 3-parallel-room setup went
well, and there weren't that many conflicts.

Maybe having *2* cross-project topics running at the same time (instead
of 3 or 1) would be the right trade-off. We would still need to be more
picky in selecting which issues we want to address, we would split the
audience into two rooms, and we would reduce the likelihood of conflict
significantly.

> The other question is if we did that what's running in competition to
> cross project day? Is it another free form pod day for people not
> working on those things?

The 3 or 4 other rooms would give incubated projects (and "other"
projects) some scheduled time. It also runs at the same time as the
conference.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)