[openstack-dev] Design sessions for Neutron LBaaS. What do we want/need?

Brandon Logan brandon.logan at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Aug 29 04:47:05 UTC 2014

I'm not sure exactly how many design sessions will be available but it
seems like 2 for Neutron LBaaS and 2 for Octavia will be hard to
accomplish.  Neutron LBaaS had 2 in Atlanta didn't it?  One broad one
ofr Neutron LBaaS and one more specific to TLS and L7.  I'm totally on
board for having 2 for each though.  I just think since Octavia is still
just an idea at this point, it'd be hard getting space and time for a
design session for it, much less 2.  Doesn't stop us from doing the pods
or ad hoc sessions though.

As for topics:
Neutron LBaaS
1) I've been wanting to try and solve the problem (at least I think it
is a problem) of drivers being responsible for managing the status of
entities.  In my opinion, Neutron LBaaS should be as consistent as
possible not matter what drivers are being used.  This is caused by
supporting both Asynchronous and Synchronous drivers.  I've got some
ideas on how to solve this.
2) Different status types on entities.  Operating status and
Provisioning status.

Octavia
I hope we have gotten far enough along this to have some really detailed
design discussions.  Hopefully we are within reach of a 0.5 milestone.
Other than that, too early to tell what exact kind of design talks we
will need.

Thanks,
Brandon