[openstack-dev] [nova] Is the BP approval process broken?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 21:02:20 UTC 2014

On 08/28/2014 04:42 PM, Dugger, Donald D wrote:
> I would contend that that right there is an indication that there's a
> problem with the process.  You submit a BP and then you have no idea
> of what is happening and no way of addressing any issues.  If the
> priority is wrong I can explain why I think the priority should be
> higher, getting stonewalled leaves me with no idea what's wrong and
> no way to address any problems.
>
> I think, in general, almost everyone is more than willing to adjust
> proposals based upon feedback.  Tell me what you think is wrong and
> I'll either explain why the proposal is correct or I'll change it to
> address the concerns.

In many of the Gantt IRC meetings as well as the ML, I and others have
repeatedly raised concerns about the scheduler split being premature and
not a priority compared to the cleanup of the internal interfaces around
the resource tracker and scheduler. This feedback was echoed in the
mid-cycle meetup session as well. Sylvain and I have begun the work of
cleaning up those interfaces and fixing the bugs around non-versioned
data structures and inconsistent calling interfaces in the scheduler and
resource tracker. Progress is being made towards these things.

> Trying to deal with silence is really hard and really frustrating.
> Especially given that we're not supposed to spam the mailing it's
> really hard to know what to do.  I don't know the solution but we
> need to do something.  More core team members would help, maybe
> something like an automatic timeout where BPs/patches with no
> negative scores and no activity for a week get flagged for special
> handling.

Yes, I think flagging blueprints for special handling would be a good
thing. Keep in mind, though, that there are an enormous number of
proposed specifications, with the vast majority of folks only caring
about their own proposed specs, and very few doing reviews on anything
other than their own patches or specific area of interest.

Doing reviews on other folks' patches and blueprints would certainly
help in this regard. If cores only see someone contributing to a small,
isolated section of the code or only to their own blueprints/patches,
they generally tend to implicitly down-play that person's reviews in
favor of patches/blueprints from folks that are reviewing non-related
patches and contributing to reduce the total review load.

I understand your frustration about the silence, but the silence from
core team members may actually be a loud statement about where their
priorities are.

Best,
-jay