[openstack-dev] [all] Design Summit reloaded

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 19:06:45 UTC 2014

On 08/28/2014 02:21 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 08/28/2014 01:58 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> On 08/27/2014 11:34 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>>> If anything, I’d like to have fewer cross-project tracks running
>>> simultaneously. Depending on which are proposed, maybe we can make
>>> that happen. On the other hand, cross-project issues is a big theme
>>> right now so maybe we should consider devoting more than a day to
>>> dealing with them.
>>
>> I agree with Doug here. I'd almost say having a single cross-project
>> room, with serialized content would be better than 3 separate
>> cross-project tracks. By nature, the cross-project sessions will attract
>> developers that work or are interested in a set of projects that looks
>> like a big Venn diagram. By having 3 separate cross-project tracks, we
>> would increase the likelihood that developers would once more have to
>> choose among simultaneous sessions that they have equal interest in. For
>> Infra and QA folks, this likelihood is even greater...
>>
>> I think I'd prefer a single cross-project track on the first day.
>
> So the fallout of that is there will be 6 or 7 cross-project slots for
> the design summit. Maybe that's the right mix if the TC does a good job
> picking the top 5 things we want accomplished from a cross project
> standpoint during the cycle. But it's going to have to be a pretty
> directed pick. I think last time we had 21 slots, and with a couple of
> doubling up that gave 19 sessions. (about 30 - 35 proposals for that
> slot set).

I'm not sure that would be a bad thing :)

I think one of the reasons the mid-cycles have been successful is that
they have adequately limited the scope of discussions and I think by
doing our homework by fully vetting and voting on cross-project sessions
and being OK with saying "No, not this time.", we will be more
productive than if we had 20+ cross-project sessions.

Just my two cents, though..

-jay