[openstack-dev] [all] [glance] python namespaces considered harmful to development, lets not introduce more of them

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Aug 27 19:18:01 UTC 2014

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:

> On 08/27/2014 11:14 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
>> On 08/27/2014 04:31 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> 1. Do a partial rename and then complete it after the glance migration
>> is done. If I'm not missing anything, we should be able to do something
>> like:
>> 	- Rename the project internally
>> 	- Release a new version with the new name `glancestore`
>> 	- Switch glance over to `glancestore`
>> 	- Complete the rename process with support from infra
>>
>> 2. Let this patch land, complete Glance's switch-over using namespaces
>> and then do the rename all together.
>>
>> Do you have any other suggestion that would help avoiding namespaces
>> without blocking glance.store?
>
> I think those are the 2 paths. I think path #1 is completely sane. All
> it will mean is that the repo name isn't exactly the package name, but I
> think that's fine. We can take the repo name later in the release cycle.
> So I'm really pro #1 if you can do that.

I'm happy to rename the project as early as this Saturday if that is
convenient.  I expect the system to be quiet enough for that by then.

It would be helpful if some glance.store folks are around to expedite
approval of any changes needed as a result of the rename before the rush
begins again on Monday.

-Jim