[openstack-dev] [Heat] Heat Juno Mid-cycle Meetup report

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 27 17:08:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 09:40:31AM -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-08-27 08:41:29 -0700:
> > >
> > > This is probably not a major problem, but it's certainly worth considering.
> > >
> > > My assumption is that the latency of making the replicas consistent will be
> > > small relative to the timeout for things like SoftwareDeployments, so all
> > > we need is to ensure that instances  eventually get the new data, act on
> >
> > That part is fine, but if they get the new data and then later get the
> > old data back again... that would not be so good.
> >

> Agreed, and I had not considered that this can happen.
>
> There is a not-so-simple answer though:
>
> * Heat inserts this as initial metadata:
>
>     {"metadata": {}, "update-url": "xxxxxx", "version": 0}
>
> * Polling goes to update-url and ignores metadata <= 0
>
> * Polling finds new metadata in same format, and continues the loop
> without talking to Heat
>
> However, this makes me rethink why we are having performance problems.
> MOST of the performance problems have two root causes:
>
> * We parse the entire stack to show metadata, because we have to see if
>   there are custom access controls defined in any of the resources used.
>   I actually worked on a patch set to deprecate this part of the resource
>   plugin API because it is impossible to scale this way.
> * We rely on the engine to respond because of the parsing issue.
>
> If however we could just push metadata into the db fully resolved
> whenever things in the stack change, and cache the response in the API
> using Last-Modified/Etag headers, I think we'd be less inclined to care
> so much about swift for polling. However we are still left with the many
> thousands of keystone users being created vs. thousands of swift tempurls.

There's probably a few relatively simple optimisations we can do if the
keystone user thing becomes the bottleneck:
- Make the user an attribute of the stack and only create one per
  stack/tree-of-stacks
- Make the user an attribute of each server resource (probably more secure
  but less optimal if your optimal is less keystone users).

I don't think the many keystone users thing is actually a problem right now
though, or is it?

Steve