[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging] Request to include AMQP 1.0 support in Juno-3

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:35:20 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I believe Juno-3 is our last chance to get this feature [1] included
into olso.messaging.

I honestly believe this patch is about as low risk as possible for a
change that introduces a whole new transport into oslo.messaging.  The
patch shouldn't affect the existing transports at all, and doesn't
come into play unless the application specifically turns on the new
'amqp' transport, which won't be the case for existing applications.

The patch includes a set of functional tests which exercise all the
messaging patterns, timeouts, and even broker failover. These tests do
not mock out any part of the driver - a simple test broker is included
which allows the full driver codepath to be executed and verified.

IFAIK, the only remaining technical block to adding this feature,
aside from core reviews [2], is sufficient infrastructure test coverage.
We discussed this a bit at the last design summit.  The root of the
issue is that this feature is dependent on a platform-specific library
(proton) that isn't in the base repos for most of the CI platforms.
But it is available via EPEL, and the Apache QPID team is actively
working towards getting the packages into Debian (a PPA is available
in the meantime).

In the interim I've proposed a non-voting CI check job that will
sanity check the new driver on EPEL based systems [3].  I'm also
working towards adding devstack support [4], which won't be done in
time for Juno but nevertheless I'm making it happen.

I fear that this feature's inclusion is stuck in a chicken/egg
deadlock: the driver won't get merged until there is CI support, but
the CI support won't run correctly (and probably won't get merged)
until the driver is available.  The driver really has to be merged
first, before I can continue with CI/devstack development.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo.messaging/+spec/amqp10-driver-implementation
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/75815/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115752/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/109118/