[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Aug 27 12:47:30 UTC 2014

On 08/26/2014 11:40 AM, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net
> <mailto:sean at dague.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/20/2014 12:37 PM, Zane Bitter wrote:
>     > On 11/08/14 05:24, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>     >> So the idea that being (and remaining) in the integrated release
>     should
>     >> also be judged on technical merit is a slightly different effort.
>     It's
>     >> always been a factor in our choices, but like Devananda says,
>     it's more
>     >> difficult than just checking a number of QA/integration
>     checkboxes. In
>     >> some cases, blessing one project in a problem space stifles
>     competition,
>     >> innovation and alternate approaches. In some other cases, we reinvent
>     >> domain-specific solutions rather than standing on the shoulders of
>     >> domain-specific giants in neighboring open source projects.
>     >
>     > I totally agree that these are the things we need to be vigilant
>     about.
>     >
>     > Stifling competition is a big worry, but it appears to me that a
>     lot of
>     > the stifling is happening even before incubation. Everyone's time is
>     > limited, so if you happen to notice a new project on the incubation
>     > trajectory doing things in what you think is the Wrong Way, you're
>     most
>     > likely to either leave some drive-by feedback or to just ignore it and
>     > carry on with your life. What you're most likely *not* to do is to
>     start
>     > a competing project to prove them wrong, or to jump in full time
>     to the
>     > existing project and show them the light. It's really hard to argue
>     > against the domain experts too - when you're acutely aware of how
>     > shallow your knowledge is in a particular area it's very hard to know
>     > how hard to push. (Perhaps ironically, since becoming a PTL I feel I
>     > have to be much more cautious in what I say too, because people are
>     > inclined to read too much into my opinion - I wonder if TC members
>     feel
>     > the same pressure.) I speak from first-hand instances of guilt here -
>     > for example, I gave some feedback to the Mistral folks just before the
>     > last design summit[1], but I haven't had time to follow it up at
>     all. I
>     > wouldn't be a bit surprised if they showed up with an incubation
>     > request, a largely-unchanged user interface and an expectation that I
>     > would support it.
>     >
>     > The result is that projects often don't hear the feedback they need
>     > until far too late - often when they get to the incubation review
>     (maybe
>     > not even their first incubation review). In the particularly
>     unfortunate
> [...]

So I think we all want the future where OpenStack is a really nice set
of composable services that let you easily create the cloud you want.
They are all stable, upgradeable, and easy to understand.

I think the challenge is, personally, I don't see how we get there on
current course and speed.

I just got back from effectively 2 weeks out (1 on vacation, 1 at Linux
con). And basically the moment I was seen active on IRC I got slammed
with pings of 'this kind of job now seems wedged, help!' 'this thing
between two projects is blocking and we can't figure out how to land the
code, help!'

As someone who spends a ton of time unwinding the completely crazy ways
OpenStack fails to work with OpenStack given the complexity of
interaction, it's exhausting. And, honestly, I'm feeling pretty strongly
that it's time for me to step away from the gate. Because I actually
think that the fact that I built this mental model and have been able to
smooth over so many things is actually making the situation worse,
because people largely don't realize how *incredibly* manual the
assembly of these parts are, and that it's not sustainable.

It's from this perspective, and seeing different community models that
work with a smaller base, larger ecosystem, that I think we need to
really think about a smaller tent model for what the minimum viable
units are in OpenStack and how we layer up from there -
https://dague.net/2014/08/26/openstack-as-layers/

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague