[openstack-dev] [neutron][ml2] Mech driver as out-of-tree add-on

loy wolfe loywolfe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 05:05:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >I think that "opensource" is not the only factor, it's about built-in
> vs. 3rd backend. Built-in must be opensource, but opensource is not
> necessarily built-in. By my thought, current OVS and linuxbridge are
> built-in, but shim RESTful proxy for all kinds of sdn controller should be
> 3rd, for they keep all virtual networking data model and service logic in
> their own places, using Neutron API just as the NB shell (they can't even
> co-work with built-in l2pop driver for vxlan/gre network type today).
>

> I understand the point you are trying to make, but this blanket statement
> about the data model of drivers/plugins with REST backends is wrong. Look
> at the ODL mechanism driver for a counter-example.[1] The data is still
> stored in Neutron and all of the semantics of the API are maintained. The
> l2pop driver is to deal with decentralized overlays, so I'm not sure how
> its interoperability with the ODL driver is relevant.

If we create a vxlan network,  then can we bind some ports to built-in ovs
driver, and other ports to ODL driver? linux bridge agnet, ovs agent,
ofagent can co-exist in the same vxlan network, under the common l2pop
mechanism. By that scenery, I'm not sure whether ODL can just add to them
in a heterogeneous multi-backend architecture , or work exclusively and
have to take over all the functionality.