[openstack-dev] [qa] In-tree functional test vision

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 21:50:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:

[Other stuff snipped, thanks for that, good to have some pointers.]

> Why can't you run devstack locally? Maybe there are some changes we can
> make so its easier to run devstack locally first.

I do run a local devstack, and throw in some tempest and grenade every
now and again too.

But in terms of automated local testing in the project tree there are
places it is difficult for clean unit tests to reach. Sure we can make
really hairy mocks, but that results in tests which a) make no sense
b) it is hard to have any confidence in.

Thus "in tree functional tests":

* to reach places unit tests won't go
* to not have the noise of all that mock and OO mess
* to have some faith in the end to end

The sorts of things that require provisioning of temporary datastores,
interception of wsgi apps, in process message queues...

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent