[openstack-dev] [all] [ptls] The Czar system, or how to scale PTLs

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Aug 25 21:18:58 UTC 2014

On Mon 25 Aug 2014 03:38:18 PM CDT, Zane Bitter wrote:
> I'd say we've done fairly well, but I would attribute that at least in
> part to the fact that we've treated the PTL as effectively the
> temporary "release management contact" more than the "guy who will
> resolve disputes for us". In other words, despite rather than because
> of the requirement to have a PTL.

I found this ("despite rather than because") a non sequitur.

Let's put this conversation to rest since it seems there is no
disagreement on the fact that the PTL role is working and stop
investigating why it's working.

> Imagine a scenario where the community is more or less evenly
> split and neither side is willing to back down even after seeking
> guidance from the TC, the PTL breaks the deadlock by fiat in lieu of
> consensus, followed by [...]

You highlight an interesting scenario: let's file it in the 'risks'
bucket. I think  we have already ways to mitigate the risk of this
unlikely event to happen, with Foundation intervening, Board and other
mediation coming from *outside* of the dev community.