[openstack-dev] [neutron][cisco] Cisco Nexus requires patched ncclient

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Sun Aug 24 18:40:44 UTC 2014

On Aug 24, 2014, at 5:14 PM, Henry Gessau <gessau at cisco.com> wrote:

> Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Now, maybe putting the module into requirements.txt is an overkill
>> (though I doubt it). In that case, we could be interested in getting
>> the info in some other centralized way.
>
> Maru is of the opinion that it is overkill. I feel the same way, but I am not
> involved much with deployment issues so my feelings should not sway anyone.
>
> Note that ncclient is not the only package used by vendor solutions that is
> not listed in requirements.txt. The ones I am aware of are:
>
>  ncclient (cisco and brocade)
>  heleosapi (embrane)
>  a10_neutron_lbaas (a10networks)
>
> Maybe we should start exploring "some other centralized way" to list these
> type of dependencies?

I think each plugin should be able to have its own requirements.txt file to aid in manual deployment and in packaging of a given plugin.  This suggests the need to maintain a global plugin requirements file (in the tree) to ensure use of only a single version of any dependencies used across more than one plugin.

Given that 3rd party CI is likely having to install these dependencies anyway, I think it would be good to make this deployment reproducible while avoiding the need to add new dependencies to core Neutron.

Maru