[openstack-dev] [neutron] Incubator concerns from packaging perspective

Maru Newby marun at redhat.com
Sat Aug 23 22:02:33 UTC 2014

On Aug 20, 2014, at 6:28 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> require lots of time to ship them, but having ~20 separate build
>> manifests for each of them is just too hard to handle without clear
>> incentive).
>>

> One reason instead for moving plugins out of the main tree is allowing
> their maintainers to have full control over them.
> If there was a way with gerrit or similars to give somebody rights to merge
> code only on a subtree I probably would not even consider the option of
> moving plugin and drivers away. From my perspective it's not that I don't
> want them in the main tree, it's that I don't think it's fair for core team
> reviewers to take responsibility of approving code that they can't fully
> tests (3rd partt CI helps, but is still far from having a decent level of
> coverage).
>

>> 3. The fact that neutron-incubator is not going to maintain any stable
>> branches for security fixes and major failures concerns me too. In
>> downstream, we don't generally ship the latest and greatest from PyPI.
>> Meaning, we'll need to maintain our own downstream stable branches for
>> major fixes. [BTW we already do that for python clients.]
>>

> This is a valid point. We need to find an appropriate trade off. My
> thinking was that incubated projects could be treated just like client
> libraries from a branch perspective.
>

>> 4. Another unclear part of the proposal is that notion of keeping
>> Horizon and client changes required for incubator features in
>> neutron-incubator. AFAIK the repo will be governed by Neutron Core
>> team, and I doubt the team is ready to review Horizon changes (?). I
>> think I don't understand how we're going to handle that. Can we just
>> postpone Horizon work till graduation?
>>

> I too do not think it's a great idea, mostly because there will be horizon
> bits not shipped with horizon, and not verified by horizon core team.
> I think it would be ok to have horizon support for neutron incubator. It
> won't be the first time that support for experimental features is added in
> horizon.
>

> 5. The wiki page says that graduation will require full test coverage.
>> Does it mean 100% coverage in 'coverage' report? I don't think our
>> existing code is even near that point, so maybe it's not fair to
>> require that from graduated code.
>>

> I agree that by these standards we should take the whole neutron and return
> it to incubation, or probably just chuck it in the bin.
> It's not a mystery that Neutron quality is well below integrated level but
> let's not diverge.
>
> On the other hand, the fact that Neutron's code is rubbish does not
> authorise the addition of further rubbish.
> I see this requirement for graduation as a measure to ensure new additions
> to neutron have proper quality.
> In the meanwhile it will be mandatory for the neutron community to keep
> working on quality, scalability and improve testing coverage.
> Otherwise there will be no talk about neutron-incubator, mostly because

+1

If we judge ourselves by our past standards we have no hope of improving.

I would agree, though, that the wiki requirement of ‘full test coverage’ is very much ambiguous.  I would hope that a new feature would have sufficient testing to validate its target use cases and guard against regression, but that determination is unlikely to be as mechanical as ‘100% coverage achieved’.  A more useful metric might be whether a quorum of cores believe that the value of a new feature exceeds the costs imposed by its ongoing maintenance.  If a feature has insufficient or poor quality testing, the value of the feature could be seen to be not justified by the cost it would impose.

>> A separate tree would probably be reasonable if it would be governed
>> by a separate team. But as it looks now, it's still Neutron Cores who
>> will do the review heavy-lifting. So I wonder why not just applying
>> different review rules for patches for core and the staging subtree.
>>

> This is a good point. As a neutron core I don't want to do the heavy
> lifting there. I think we should define rules which allow teams to iterate
> quickly while enabling the neutron core team to retain some form of control
> on what goes in the incubator.

I think divesting the current cores of responsibility of reviewing a separate plugin tree makes good sense - the impact of a given plugin on everything else is likely to be minimal.

I think incubator is different, though.  Why would we be incubating something if we didn’t anticipate that it could be merged into the main tree at some point - to the community's benefit - and wouldn’t we want it to be of sufficiently high quality so as to avoid a costly rewrite?  I’m not sure how siloing incubation review efforts would support that outcome.

I think cores should be responsible for both Neutron and incubator, but with a caveat.  There should be different standards for incubator code.  Patches should be allowed to land early and often - none of this ‘I want to see the whole feature before I merge anything’ that have proven so costly this cycle and forced any non-trivial feature to be developed monolithically.  Let’s try iterating quickly in the incubator repo with the understanding that, unlike in the main tree, landing a patch doesn’t mean we are committing to support it indefinitely.  With the understanding that periodic or final feature review are a necessary part of the process - and selectivity around what we accept for incubation - I would hope that we could balance the cost of our oversight with the benefits it promises.

m.