[openstack-dev] [all] [ptls] The Czar system, or how to scale PTLs

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Sat Aug 23 01:02:14 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM, Rochelle.RochelleGrober <
rochelle.grober at huawei.com> wrote:

> /flame-on
> Ok, this is funny to some of us in the community.  The general populace of
> this community is so against the idea of management that they will use the
> term for a despotic dictator as a position name rather than "manager".
> Sorry, but this needed to be said.
> /flame-off
>
> Specific comments in line:
>
> Thierry Carrez wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We all know being a project PTL is an extremely busy job. That's
> > because
> > in our structure the PTL is responsible for almost everything in a
> > project:
> >
> > - Release management contact
> > - Work prioritization
> > - Keeping bugs under control
> > - Communicate about work being planned or done
> > - Make sure the gate is not broken
> > - Team logistics (run meetings, organize sprints)
> > - ...
> >

> Point of clarification:  I've heard PTL=Project Technical Lead and
> PTL=Program Technical Lead. Which is it?  It is kind of important as
> OpenStack grows, because the first is responsible for *a* project, and the
> second is responsible for all projects within a program.

Now Program, formerly Project.

> [...]
> extended such that:
> - the subteam is responsible for code reviews, including the first +2 for
> design, architecture and code of the sub-project, always also keeping an
> eye out that the sub-project code continues to both integrate well with the
> program, and that the program continues to provide the needed code bits,
> architecture modifications and improvements, etc. to support the
> sub-project.
> - the final +2/A would be from the Program reviewers to ensure that all
> integrate nicely together into a single, cohesive program.
> - This would allow sub-projects to have core reviewers, along with the
> program and be a good separation of duties.  It would also help to increase
> the number of reviews moving to merged code.
> - Taken to a logical stepping stone, you would have project technical
> leads for each project, and they would make up a program council, with the
> program technical lead being the chair of the council.
>
> This is a way to offload a good chunk of PTL tactical responsibilities and
> help them focus more on the strategic.
>
> > They end up being completely drowned in those day-to-day operational
> > duties, miss the big picture, can't help in development that much
> > anymore, get burnt out. Since you're either "the PTL" or "not the PTL",
> > you're very alone and succession planning is not working that great
> > either.
> >
> > There have been a number of experiments to solve that problem. John
> > Garbutt has done an incredible job at helping successive Nova PTLs
> > handling the release management aspect. Tracy Jones took over Nova bug
> > management. Doug Hellmann successfully introduced the concept of Oslo
> > liaisons to get clear point of contacts for Oslo library adoption in
> > projects. It may be time to generalize that solution.
> >
> > The issue is one of responsibility: the PTL is ultimately responsible
> > for everything in a project. If we can more formally delegate that
> > responsibility, we can avoid getting up to the PTL for everything, we
> > can rely on a team of people rather than just one person.
> >
> > Enter the Czar system: each project should have a number of liaisons /
> > official contacts / delegates that are fully responsible to cover one
> > aspect of the project. We need to have Bugs czars, which are
> > responsible
> > for getting bugs under control. We need to have Oslo czars, which serve
> > as liaisons for the Oslo program but also as active project-local oslo
> > advocates. We need Security czars, which the VMT can go to to progress
> > quickly on plugging vulnerabilities. We need release management czars,
> > to handle the communication and process with that painful OpenStack
> > release manager. We need Gate czars to serve as first-line-of-contact
> > getting gate issues fixed... You get the idea.
> >
> /flame-on
> Let's call spades, spades here.  Czar is not only overkill, but the wrong

I'm with Rocky on the anti-czar-as-a-word camp. We all like clever names to
shed the "corporate" stigma but this word ain't it. Liaison or lead?

Also wanted to point to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PTLguide as it's
quite nice.

I think PTLs tend to find help when they absolutely are ready to fall over,
and I'm all for a plan that helps us not fall over. I've had people step up
for bug triaging, gate work, tests, and oslo, sometimes one person did
three or four at once. I certainly can't do it all for cross-project. Based
on what I've seen, I doubt that we can add this much formality to this
across 20+ programs. It's the "bigger more integrated project" vs. "smaller
more focused project" difference that won't let us do a pattern here. We
can certainly document the responsibilities and let programs know there are
some best practices.

Anne