[openstack-dev] [neutron] [third-party] What tests are required to be run

Dane Leblanc (leblancd) leblancd at cisco.com
Fri Aug 22 22:06:11 UTC 2014

Thanks Edgar for updating the APIC status!!!

Edgar and Kyle: *****PLEASE NOTE******!!!!  I need your understanding and advice on the following:

We are still stuck with a problem stemming from a design limitation of Jenkins that prevents us from being compliant with Neutron 3rd Party CI requirements for our DFA CI.

The issue is that Jenkins only allows our scripts to (programmatically) return either Success or Fail. There is no option to return "Aborted", "Not Tested", or "Skipped".

Why does this matter? The DFA plugin is just being introduced, and initial DFA-enabling change sets have not yet been merged. Therefore, all other change sets will fail our Tempest tests, since they are not DFA-enabled.

Similarly, we were recently blocked in our APIC CI with a critical bug, causing all change sets without this fix to fail on our APIC testbed.

In these cases, we would like to enter a "throttled" or "partially blocked" mode, where we would skip testing on change sets we know will fail, and (in an ideal world) signal this shortcoming to Gerrit e.g. by returning a "Skipped" status. Unfortunately, this option is not available in Jenkins scripts, as Jenkins is currently designed. The only options we have available is "Success" or all "Fail", which are both misleading. We would also incorrectly report success or fail on one of the following test commits:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/114393/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40296/

I've brought this issue up on the openstack-infra IRC, and jeblair confirmed the Jenkins limitation, but asked me to get consensus from the Neutron community as to this being a problem/requirement. I've also sent out an e-mail on the Neutron ML trying to start a discussion on this problem (no traction). I plan on bringing this up in the 3rd Party CI IRC on Monday, assuming there is time permitted in the open discussion.

I'm also investigating

For the short term, I would like to propose the following:
* We bring this up on the 3rd Party CI IRC on Monday to get a solution or workaround, if available. If a solution is available, let's consider including that as a hint when we come up with CI requirements for handling CIs bocked by some critical fix.
* I'm also looking into using a REST API to cancel a Jenkins job programmatically.
* If no solution or workaround is available, we work with infra team or with Jenkins team to create a solution.
* Until a solution is available, for plugins which are blocked by a critical bug, we post a status/notes indicating the plugin's situation on our 3rd party CI status wiki, e.g.:

Vendor 			Plugin/Driver Name 	Contact Name 		Status 	Notes
My Vendor Name 	My Plugin CI 		My Contact Person 	T 	Throttled / Partially blocked / Awaiting Intial Commits

The status/notes should be clear and understood by the Neutron team.  The console logs for change sets where the tests were skipped should also contain a message that all testing is being skipped for that commit.

Note that when the DFA initial commits are merged, then this issue would go away for the DFA CI. However, this problem will reappear every time a blocking critical bug shows up for a 3rd party CI setup, or a new plugin is introduced and the hardware-enabling commits are not yet merged.  (That is, until we have a solution for the Jenkins limitation).

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Dane