[openstack-dev] [QA] Picking a Name for the Tempest Library

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Aug 22 15:26:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 03:14:21PM -0400, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> So as part of splitting out common functionality from tempest into a library [1]
> we need to create a new repository. Which means we have the fun task of coming
> up with something to name it. I'm personally thought we should call it:
>
>  - mesocyclone
>
> Which has the advantage of being a cloud/weather thing, and the name sort of
> fits because it's a precursor to a tornado. Also, it's an available namespace on
> both launchpad and pypi. But there has been expressed concern that both it is a
> bit on the long side (which might have 80 char line length implications) and
> it's unclear from the name what it does.
>
> During the last QA meeting some alternatives were also brought up:
>
>  - tempest-lib / lib-tempest
>  - tsepmet
>  - blackstorm
>  - calm
>  - tempit
>  - integration-test-lib
>
> (although I'm not entirely sure I remember which ones were serious suggestions
> or just jokes)
>
> So as a first step I figured that I'd bring it up on the ML to see if anyone had
> any other suggestions. (or maybe get a consensus around one choice) I'll take
> the list, check if the namespaces are available, and make a survey so that
> everyone can vote and hopefully we'll have a clear choice for a name from that.

Since the consensus was for renaming tempest and making tempest the library name,
which wasn't really feasible, I opened up a survey to poll everyone on the which
name to use:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RLLZRGJ

The choices were taken from the initial list I posted and from the suggestions
which people posted based on the availability of the names.

I'll keep it open for about a week, or until a clear favorite emerges.

-Matt Treinish