[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] How to get new package requirements into the CI system using a PPA and EPEL?

Ken Giusti kgiusti at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:22:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/15/2014 11:55 PM, Ken Giusti wrote:
>> Good to hear about epel's availability.  But on the Ubuntu/Debian
>> side - is it possible to add the Qpid project's PPA to the config
>> project?  From a quick 'grep' of the sources, it appears as if Pypy
>> requires a PPA.  It's configured in
>> modules/openstack_project/manifests/slave_common.pp).  Can I use
>> this as an example for adding Qpid's PPA?
>
> This is probably a good example of the puppet classes to use, but...
>
> As discussed, it's questionable what you want here.  Probably for your
> unit tests, you could mock-out calls to the library?  So you may not
> need it installed at all?
>
> If you want to test it "for real"; i.e. in a running environment with
> real RPC happening between components, etc, then that would be in a
> devstack environment.  It sounds like you'd probably be wanting to
> define a new rpc-backend [1] that could be optionally enabled.
>
> Once you had that in devstack, you'd have to start looking at the
> jenkins-job-builder configs [2] and add a specific test that enabled
> the flag for this back-end and add it as probably a non-voting job to
> some component.

Thanks,  I've spent some time hacking this and have the following:

1) a patch to devstack that adds a configuration option to enable AMQP
1.0 as the RPC messaging protocol:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/109118/

2) a patch to openstack-infra/config that adds a new non-voting job
for oslo.messaging that runs on a devstack node with AMQP 1.0 enabled.
The job runs the AMQP 1.0 functional tests via tox:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115752/

#2 is fairly straightforward - I've copy&pasted the code from existing
neutron-functional tests.  Still needs testing, however.

#1 is the change I'm most concerned about as it adds the Apache qpid
PPA for ubuntu systems.  I've tested this on my Trusty and Centos6
vm's and it works well for me.

Can anyone on the devstack or infra teams give me some feedback on
these changes?  I'm hoping these infrastructure changes will unblock
the AMQP 1.0 blueprint in time for Juno-3 (fingers, toes, eyes
crossed).

thanks!

--
Ken Giusti  (kgiusti at gmail.com)