[openstack-dev] [glance] [infra] Glance review patterns and their impact on the gate

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Aug 22 12:09:10 UTC 2014

Earlier this week the freshness checks (the ones that required passing
results within 24 hrs for a change to go into the gate) were removed to
try to conserve nodes as we get to crunch time. The hopes were that
review teams had enough handle on what when code in their program got
into a state that it *could not* pass it's own unit tests to not approve
that code.

The attached screen shot shows that this is not currently true with
Glance. All glance changes will 100% fail their unit tests now. The root
fix might be here - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/115342/ which has 2
-1s and has been out for review for 3 days.

Realistically Glance was the biggest offender of this in the past, and
honestly the top reason for putting freshness checks in the gate in the
first place.

Does anyone from the Glance team have some ideas on better ways to keep
the team up on the fact that Glance is in a non functional state, 100%
of things will fail, and not have people approve things that can't pass?
These kind of issues are the ones that make me uncomfortable with the
Glance team taking on more mission until basic review hygiene is under
control for the existing code.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague