[openstack-dev] Criteria for giving a -1 in a review

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 17:12:16 UTC 2014

On 21/08/14 12:21, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 05:05:04PM +0100, Matthew Booth wrote:
>> >"I would prefer that you didn't merge this."
>> >
>> >i.e. The project is better off without it.
> A bit off topic, but I've never liked this message that gets added
> as it think it sounds overly negative. It would better written
> as
>
>    "This patch needs further work before it can be merged"
>
> as that gives a positive expectation that the work is still
> wanted by the project in general

Well, there are two audiences for that message: the developer and the
reviewer. I can't help thinking that if instead of trying to be positive
it said what it really means - "Today, I have chosen to obstruct your
work for the greater good of the project" - we might have a few less -1s
for trivial issues.

Maybe, while we're at it, we could stop publishing taxonomies of reasons
to -1 a patch as if code reviews were a competition to see who can find
the most.

cheers,
Zane.