[openstack-dev] Adding GateFailureFix tag to commit messages

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 16:02:17 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

According to [1], we have ways to introduce external references to commit
messages.

These are useful to mark certain patches and their relevance in the context
of documentation, upgrades, etc.

I was wondering if it would be useful considering the addition of another
tag:

GateFailureFix

The objective of this tag, mainly for consumption by the review team, would
be to make sure that some patches get more attention than others, as they
affect the velocity of how certain critical issues are addressed (and gate
failures affect everyone).

As for machine consumption, I know that some projects use the
'gate-failure' tag to categorize LP bugs that affect the gate. The use of a
GateFailureFix tag in the commit message could make the tagging automatic,
so that we can keep a log of what all the gate failures are over time.

Not sure if this was proposed before, and I welcome any input on the matter.

Cheers,
Armando

[1] -
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GitCommitMessages#Including_external_references