[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Migration from nova-network to Neutron for large production clouds

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 10:58:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 03:17:40PM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:
> Michael has been posting very informative blogs on the summary of
> the mid-cycle meetups for Nova. The one on the Nova Network to
> Neutron migration was of particular interest to me as it raises a
> number of potential impacts for the CERN production cloud. The blog
> itself is at http://www.stillhq.com/openstack/juno/000014.html

FWIW, I do *not* support the following policy statement written
there

  "The current plan is to go forward with a cold upgrade path,
   unless a user comes forward with an absolute hard requirement
   for a live upgrade, and a plan to fund developers to work on it."

I think that saying that our users are responsible for providing or
identifying funding for live upgrades is user-hostile & unacceptable.
If we as a dev team want to take away major features that our users
currently rely on in production and the users then determine (& tell
us) that the proposed upgrade path is not practical, then it is the
*dev team's* reponsibility to figure out how address that, not the
users.

Regards,
Daniel