[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Aug 19 19:49:38 UTC 2014

On 08/19/2014 07:37 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> All of these projects should be able to live in the Program, in the
> openstack/ code namespace, for as long as the project is actively
> developed, and let the contributor communities in these competing
> projects *naturally* work to do any of the following:
>
>  * Pick a best-of-breed implementation from the projects that address
> the same Thing
>  * Combine code and efforts to merge the good bits of multiple projects
> into one
>  * Let multiple valid choices of implementation live in the same Program
> with none of them being "blessed" by the TC to be part of the integrated
> release

Sounds reasonable and I'd like to analyze the risks associated with this
change. What's the worst that can happen?

The current setup gives a strong incentive to different teams to
reconcile competing implementations into one collaborative effort (the
Open Development promise[1]): the graduation process is as much about
quality of the code as it is about bootstrapping a culture of
collaboration, not one of competition.

One worst case I see is that we end up with lots of small projects doing
similar/overlapping things or in general not talking much to each other
except to get some infrastructure. (Then we'd have reimplemented the
Apache Foundation).

It's a fine line to walk on. What we have has its big drawbacks, as
Sandy Walsh recently illustrated re:StackTach, and it is definitely in
needs of constant tweaks.

/stef

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Open