[openstack-dev] [all] The future of the integrated release

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Aug 19 09:27:26 UTC 2014

On 08/14/2014 01:08 AM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com
> <mailto:markmc at redhat.com>> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 15:36 -0700, Devananda van der Veen wrote:

> 2 cycles
> say no on
> hard to do,
>>> >

>>> I agree.
>>>
>>> The challenge is scaling the technical assessment of projects. We're
>>> all busy, and digging deeply enough into a new project to make an
>>> accurate assessment of it is time consuming. Some times, there are
>>> impartial subject-matter experts who can spot problems very quickly,
>>> but how do we actually gauge fitness?
>>
>> Yes, it's important the TC does this and it's obvious we need to get a
>> lot better at it.
>>
>> The Marconi architecture threads are an example of us trying harder (and
>> kudos to you for taking the time), but it's a little disappointing how
>> it has turned out. On the one hand there's what seems like a "this
>> doesn't make any sense" gut feeling and on the other hand an earnest,
>> but hardly bite-sized justification for how the API was chosen and how
>> it lead to the architecture. Frustrating that appears to not be
>> resulting in either improved shared understanding, or improved
>> architecture. Yet everyone is trying really hard.
>
> Sometimes "trying really hard" is not enough. Saying goodbye is hard,
> but as has been pointed out already in this thread, sometimes it's
> necessary.

Agreed, as long as the reasons behind that "goodbye" are based on facts
that actually affect OpenStack somehow. These is what the
incubation/graduation requirements are for.

>>> Letting the industry field-test a project and feed their experience
>>> back into the community is a slow process, but that is the best
>>> measure of a project's success. I seem to recall this being an
>>> implicit expectation a few years ago, but haven't seen it discussed in
>>> a while.
>>
>> I think I recall us discussing a "must have feedback that it's
>> successfully deployed" requirement in the last cycle, but we recognized
>> that deployers often wait until a project is integrated.
>
> In the early discussions about incubation, we respected the need to
> officially recognize a project as part of OpenStack just to create the
> uptick in adoption necessary to mature projects. Similarly, integration
> is a recognition of the maturity of a project, but I think we have
> graduated several projects long before they actually reached that level
> of maturity. Actually running a project at scale for a period of time is
> the only way to know it is mature enough to run it in production at scale.
>
> I'm just going to toss this out there. What if we set the graduation bar
> to "is in production in at least two sizeable clouds" (note that I'm not
> saying "public clouds"). Trove is the only project that has, to my
> knowledge, met that bar prior to graduation, and it's the only project
> that graduated since Havana that I can, off hand, point at as clearly
> successful. Heat and Ceilometer both graduated prior to being in
> production; a few cycles later, they're still having adoption problems
> and looking at large architectural changes. I think the added cost to
> OpenStack when we integrate immature or unstable projects is significant
> enough at this point to justify a more defensive posture.

What is a good value for "sizable"? Why should a larger cloud be more
important that a smaller one? Surely a big cloud has different scale
requirements but it would just test that, the scaling capabilities of
the project - which I agree are really important. However, any
deployment should be considered as a good use case, whether it is big or
not, since they've such project deployed.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco